Friday, September 17, 2010

Pre-Craftsman Beauties

I love homes, it's probably one of the biggest reasons I have entered this profession. The architecture of a home can make me giddy (seriously, I turn into a 5 yr old in a toy store). My favorite styles are Spanish, Craftsman, Art Deco, and especially Victorians. So when I read about the city of Pasadena's Historic Preservation survey, I was quite intrigued.
After nearly a year of work, a fascinating survey and report on Pasadena homes built between 1883 and 1904 has been completed. The Planning Department secured a federal grant last fall through the California Office of Historic Preservation to study late 19th and early 20th century architecture. Since then, the team has evaluated more than 870 homes. (I'm very jealous)
The final report details architectural styles popular in that era, including the Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, American Foursquare, Shingle and Eastlake styles, as well as simpler Folk Victorian houses and gable-and-hipped roofed cottages. The report also cites important architects, such as Greene and Greene.
Based on the team's findings, they have nominated two Pasadena neighborhoods and ten indiviual homes for the National Register of Historic Places. They also discovered 44 homes that may be eligible for nomination, and 38 that could be named city landmarks.
When the project is completed, all homes will be added to the California Historical Resources Inventory Database. How exciting!


No comments:

Post a Comment